Monday, October 21, 2013

Ballet update

Since I know you're all DYING to know how my ballet classes are going, right?  I believe I have now taken 5 classes total.  I'm SUCH a beginner.

Well so far I've learned that I can ALMOST do the splits on one side and that I may never have great turnout due to the arches in my feet? (According to yoga lady in my class).

There is a girl in my class who can stand in 1st position perfectly with no trouble at all.  For me just standing in "perfect" first position makes my knees hurt.  I know, it's not supposed to hurt your knees.  Turnout should come from your hips and thighs but I just don't know how else to improve other than trying it over and over again- which hurts my knees.

I am getting better and I can at least follow the sequences in class a bit better, but I have like a million more classes before I will feel good about ballet, but that's ok.

I still have a lot of trouble balancing on my toes due to poor foot strength and my terrible ankles.  I've sprained each ankle many times in my life from playing sports and you really need strong feet and ankles for ballet.  (Insert big DUH here.)


Look- not me.


Anyway that's all I really have to say about ballet so far.  I'm really loving the class but I hate that it has a steep learning curve.  I'm used to being GOOD at things like sports and it's humbling to struggle so much in class. 

Oh and I die of laughter in my head when someone asks me if I'm doing ballet on my toes in those hard shoes? YOU MEAN POINTE SHOES? Dear god no I'm not on pointe shoes.  Wouldn't that be funny? A beginning ballet class where they put you straight into pointe shoes.  HA.  I will never be on pointe, or at least I can't imagine I could ever be.  I have been reading a wonderful blog called The Legal Ballerina and this woman actually went on pointe after about a year after starting ballet as an ADULT.  She is a magical unicorn though.  Read her blog here. I want to be like her.

Anyway, I leave you with a recent picture of me and my beautiful toddler in class this past Sunday.  Happy dancing to all my beginning ballerinas out there!
little monkey ballerina

No comments:

Post a Comment